Sat, Nov 12|
Basics of Nature-Based Child-Centered Play Therapy
Please join us for this anticipated training opportunity presented by Dr. Sang Min Shin. We will explore the basics of nature based child-centered play therapy in an outdoor alfresco setting.
Time & Location
Nov 12, 2022, 10:00 AM MST – Nov 13, 2022, 12:00 PM MST
Anthony, 7300 Westside Rd, Anthony, NM 88021, USA
About the Event
- This presentation will focus on how to implement nature-based child centered play therapy (Swank & Shin, 2015) outside, a natural environment. The goals of this presentation are to identify appropriate natural areas and to select natural materials from the literature and the presenter’ own clinical experiences in nature-based play therapy. Lastly, the presenter will encourage attendees to share their own challenges and strategies related to nature-based play therapy sessions.
- Participants will be able to identify an area in nature for nature-based child-centered play therapy sessions by considering confidentiality and safety.
- Participants will be able to select natural materials and man-made materials for the nature-based child-centered play therapy sessions.
- Participants will be able to discuss ethical and legal limitations of nature-based child-centered play therapy.
- Participants will be able discuss limit setting within nature-based child-centered play therapy.
Sang Min Shin, PhD, NCC, LPC, RPT is an Associate Professor in Mental Health Counseling program of Educational Psychology Special Service Department in the College of Education at the University of Texas at El Paso.
Sang Min Shin, PhD, NCC, LPC, RPT is an Associate Professor in Mental Health Counseling program of Counseling, Special Education, and Educational Psychology Department in the College of Education at the University of Texas at El Paso. Dr. Shin earned her PhD in Counseling & Counselor Education from the University of Florida. She has more than 10 years of clinical experiences providing mental health services in a school-based, community-based, and private practice settings. She also has supervised and taught Master-level students at higher education. Dr. Shin is also an active researcher. Her research interests include play therapy, nature-based play therapy, child-parent relationship, counselor education, and multiculturalism in counseling. She has published research articles in prestigious peer-reviewed journals such as the Journal of Counseling and Development and the International Journal of Play Therapy. One of her co-authored articles on the integration of nature and the child counseling was selected and won for the Charles A. Lewis Excellence in Research Award 2017 from American Horticultural Therapy Association Conference (AHTA).
* This training will provide 2 contact CE hours
* Play therapy credit may not be awarded to non-mental health professionals
* APT approved provider #99074
* Memberships include all presentation fees, CE certificates, and renews annually on August 1st. You may enroll as a member on our website.
-Student Membership FOR THIS TRAINING ONLY: $20
-Professional Membership: $45
-Presentation only: $50
* This training will be held outdoors. We advice you bring bug repellent and warm clothing*